Sylex sensing solutions are extensively used in Civil & Geo. engineering, mainly for Structural Health Monitoring of bridges, dams, tunnels, buildings, historical monuments, etc. By monitoring parameters such as strain, load, displacement and temperature, Sylex solutions increase the safety of Civil & Geo. engineering infrastructures and enable timely preventative maintenance, reduced routine maintenance costs and reduced remedial repairs. All this translates into lower total cost of ownership due to extended service.
Advantages of optical sensors over conventional electrical sensors are:
- They're rugged passive components resulting in a high life time (20 years).
- They form an intrinsic part of the fiber optic cable that can transmit the measurement signal over several tens of kilometers.
- They show no interference with electromagnetic radiation, so they can function in many hostile environments where conventional sensors would fail.
- They don't make use of electrical signals what makes them explosion safe.
- They have the ability to multiplex many sensors using only one optical fiber, driving down the cost of complex control systems.